Thursday, January 26, 2012

Trying to stay healthy

This spring I mentioned to a friend that our family had struggled with chest colds all winter. She sympathized and replied, "Yeah, my mom said that we were sick more frequently whenever we lived in a house with forced air heat."

Her comment interested me; I wondered if there was anything I could do to improve the air quality in our home without changing the furnace??


Later I heard that the local schoolteacher had put a humidifier in her classroom. She said, "Ever since, the children are not getting the flu or colds as frequently. And, when they do get sick, they recover faster."

Wonderful idea! I went out and bought a humidifier. I can definately say it made a difference the first part of the winter; we didn't have colds!

However, once it became cold enough that the furnace ran almost constantly, I could tell the humidifier was not keeping up. Soon we caught the flu and the chest cold in the same week. I started toying with the idea of buying another humidifier.

We run it in Bunny's room overnight, because his room is the most dry. One night my husband laid down in Bunny's bed for an hour. He said, "Wow, I could breath a lot easier there than in our bedroom!" I asked if it really made that much difference. He replied, "Oh yes! My mouth didn't dry out nearly as fast."

So we bought a second humidifier. And yes, the air is much easier to inhale now. I am looking forward to healthier days!

Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated! Even if it's an old post, I'd love it if you let me in on your thoughts. :) Thanks and have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...